Tuesday, June 2, 2015

May Gardening

 

Another month of blooming has gone by so it’s time to share some more garden pictures. I spent my Memorial Day weekend planting annuals, dividing Black Eyed Susan’s and pulling some pesky weeds. I also got our veggie and herb garden planted a few days later. I got my seedlings in and planted a ton of seeds.

I discovered I have a little garden helper. Lincoln was thrilled to help me dig in the dirt and get my pots ready. He was quite obsessed with the shovel and imitated everything I was doing. It was the cutest thing ever. My only hope is that he doesn’t pull out all the tiny seedling before they get a chance to grow since he also has an obsession with picking flowers blooms. We are working on saying “flower” and “pretty” and learning not to pick them. We’ll see how that goes lol.

My May blooms were looking pretty good this year but I have a hole in my bloom time. The end of May (right now) there isn’t a whole lot going on. My Siberian Iris and chives are blooming and my lilac bush is ending. There is nothing in my large main bed so it looks a little sad.

I have a couple of chives plants that I just moved my back veggie bed to the front and just squeezed them in. They have pretty purple flowers right now so I think they will give the bed the pop of color that it needs. They are super hardy so hopefully they will do well. The soil isn’t the greatest and it tends to be on the wet side for some reason so I struggle with some flowers not doing well. Plus it’s part shade so that rules out a lot of flowers I would like to try. And the other issue I have is that I am running out of room to add anything else so I have to be selective about what goes in.

I planted a ton of petunias in the back yard that we got on clearance (they were in perfect condition so I was happy to buy them on markdown.) I haven’t had much luck with them in the front though so I got some impatiens for the front bed and calibrachoa for my hanging baskets. We just need to mulch the front bed and plant the impatiens and we should be done planting flowers for season.

I had lots of action in the month of May.

 

Azalea

Azalea

Allium buds

Allium buds

Allium

Allium in full bloom

Columbine

Columbine

Lilac bush

Lilac bush. So many blooms this year!

Lilac bloom

Lilac bloom

Siberian Iris

Siberian Iris

Chives

Chives

Chives

Chives

LinkWithin