Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Perfect All Day Crochet Cowl


crochet cowl

The last project I started before Lincoln was born was a crochet cowl for myself. I had already made every type of hat I could think of for my little guy so I decided to make myself something. I didn’t get very far before I had a tiny newborn to take care. I finally decided it was time to finish it since I am almost done with my maternity leave.

I didn’t want to have to think up my own pattern so I spent lots of time perusing patterns on Pinterest and Ravelry. I knew exactly what I wanted my cowl to look like, a big stitched v stitch cowl using a worsted weight yarn that I already had in my stash. I love the open look of the v stitch and it is the most forgiving crochet stitch I have ever worked with. At one point I wasn't finishing the end of the row correctly and I had already completed a huge piece of the scarf but it’s not even noticeable so I just kept on going.

I ended up using this pattern for the Time Out Cowl. I used a K hook and Red Heart With Love worsted weight yarn. This created a nice big stitch, I worked the scarf to 53 inches before seaming and it’s 8 inches wide. It’s the perfect length to wrap around my neck twice without being restrictive or too hot.

The Red Heart With Love yarn lays really nice and is much softer than Red Heart Super Saver. I really liked it and would definitely use it again. I have enough left over to make a coordinating hat or ear warmer too.

Lincoln is also a big fan of this cowl. He was so fascinated with it the other day, it was pretty hilarious. He likes to stick his tiny fingers through the big lacy stitches :) I wore it all day on my birthday last week and it was perfect for keeping my neck warm when I was wearing a v neck cardigan.

This was the perfect easy project to ease me back into crocheting. Winter is far from over here so I am contemplating what to make next. Mike’s vote is for a mohawk hat for Lincoln since he’s outgrowing the hats I made him. And maybe I’ll make another cowl for me…

crochet cowl

crochet cowl

crochet cowl


If you liked this crochet project then check out my other crochet patterns and projects.

LinkWithin