Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekend Work in the Veggie Garden

 

It is finally feeling like summer around here. The temps are soaring into the 80s and 90s and I am so thankful we have air conditioning. Mike has been working on replacing some of the boards on our front porch and he finished up by painting it yesterday. We just replaced the boards on the side since we are sticking to a budget this summer for house projects since our baby boy will be here in 16 1/2 short weeks. It looks a million times better and I won’t be worried about having our little guy run around out there someday.

I did some major work in the veggie garden on Sunday. Maybe it was the warm temps that limbered me up but I felt surprisingly flexible with all the bending and stooping I did. I harvested all of our onions and garlic. I bundled them up with twine and hung them to dry in the garage. If we had space I would lay them out on a screen but the past couple of years just hanging them up in small bunches has worked well for me. I had to make sure and hang them high enough to keep them out of Abby’s reach since last year she picked off a few onions and had a tasty snack.

My onion harvest was pretty good but I should have spaced them out a little better since a few of them were touching. I wasn’t that pleased with the garlic but I don’t think I used really big cloves when I planted them so I will be on the lookout for a better starter crop this summer. I like to buy my garlic at a local farmers market. There is a local farm that grows organic garlic in a bunch of varieties and it’s what I’ve planted the last two years. I also trimmed the scapes off really late so that might have contributed to the smaller cloves.

I also did some trimming in my herb garden and hung some bunches to dry. I’m trying to work a little harder to preserve my harvest this year. I collected oregano, lemon thyme, regular thyme, mint and dill. My regular thyme is not looking too perky right now so I tried to give it a good haircut to hopefully rejuvenate it. It might just be the time of the year but I will keep my eye on it. I threw down some dill seeds in an open spot from the onions to try and grow some more dill for drying.

I am hoping we start seeing some tomatoes ripen up pretty soon. I bought Early Girl this year but they don’t seem to be that early to me. I am also hoping for some beans pretty soon. They have been flowering like crazy but no big bean pods yet.

Here are some pictures I took two weeks ago so things have progressed a bit since then but I still wanted to share.

 

Early Girl tomato

Early Girl tomato

Bell pepper

Bell pepper

Flat leaf parsley

Flat leaf parsley (and a lady bug!)

Bush beans

Bush beans

Garlic scapes

Garlic scapes

Walla Walla onions

Walla Walla onions

LinkWithin