Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY Anthro Inspired Necklace


DIY Anthropologie Inspired Knockoff necklace

DIY Anthropologie Inspired Knockoff necklace

You may not be a stranger to the Stormy Seas Necklace that used to be offered at Anthropologie. It is all over the blogging world and knockoffs can easily be found on etsy. I bought a mint version for myself on Groop Dealz a couple of months ago and I love it.

I have been wanting to make a version of my own and when I found these teardrop beads at Prima Bead I knew what I wanted to do with them. The site didn’t specify how big they would be so I was happy when I got them that they weren’t the super enormous size.

IMG_3238

I also used these round glass beads to make the necklace. There were tons of them so I have lots leftover for other projects too.

IMG_3239

The original necklace used gold beads but wanted to try a different take on it so these black beads were perfect.

I lined my two beads up to get a feel for how I wanted to place them. I originally wanted to use a jump ring to attach the teardrops but the hole was too low to make that work so I opted to string them onto beading wire next to the round beads.

I ended up using four round beads to start and end each strand with two round beads in between the teardrops. I used all the teardrop beads except for one. I tweaked the design a little after I took this picture.

IMG_3241

Other supplies I needed were beading wire, jump rings, crimp beads, ribbon and pliers.

IMG_3244

I attached the beading wire to one of the jump rings with a crimp bead and started stringing the first strand. I attached a second jump ring to the other end with another crimp bead.

IMG_3245

Next I strung the second strand by attaching it to the same two jump rings with crimp beads. I discovered I wanted a smaller jump ring than I originally picked out at this point so you may notice two different sizes in these pictures.

IMG_3252

To attached the ribbon, I tied a simple knot to cover the jump ring and a second knot to secure it. Then I used a dab of hot glue to secure the tail of the ribbon of the back of the knot. This will also prevent the knot from coming undone.

Since I used ribbon the necklace can be adjusted longer or shorter but I prefer the shorter look it. This will be easy to pair with pretty much anything in my closet :)

I love these teardrop beads and I could definitely see a future project with them since they come in green, teal, red, white, purple, yellow, amber, brown and clear too.

DIY Anthropologie Inspired Knockoff necklace

Disclaimer: I received the beads from Prima Bead. All opinions and creativity are my own.

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

LinkWithin