Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Success

 

Another year, another successful Thanksgiving. We had 15 people over for turkey day. We have done it so many times it’s starting to feel like a piece of cake. (I must admit I was not feeling that way after cleaning all day on Wednesday!)

We have found the key to Thanksgiving success is to be organized with what needs to get done. We started cleaning and shopping the weekend before and I took Wednesday off to get the house in tip top shape. This is the main time of the year we do deep cleaning. I scrubbed the woodwork, steam cleaned the carpets, vacuumed, dusted, washed the windows, mopped and cleaned out the stove (eew).

Mike was in charge of the cooking. He did most of the prep on Wednesday so he could breeze through the cooking on Thursday. He made the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. This year we bought a turkey roaster. The past two years Mike cooked the turkey on the grill. He used it like a big oven and put the turkey in the roasting pan on the grill. We got a great deal on an electric roaster at Target so we decided to give it a try and it worked out really well.

Mike had it all setup in the basement to keep the counters clear in the kitchen.

IMG_3111

We added two extra chairs to the dining room.

IMG_3110

And an extra table in the living room. This is the table I use in my craft room and it comes in handy for extra guests.

IMG_3108

I found the most adorable printable place cards that were free!

IMG_3107

Our guests brought the rest of the food. There were sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, two veggie casseroles, cranberry sauce, lasagna, ham, cheesecake and chocolate cake. There was plenty to go around!

Mike’s tasty turkey, brined, stuffed with sage and with sage butter under the skin.

IMG_3147

It was a lovely day with the family and I got my yearly Facebook profile picture with my awesome hubby. (Once I get a good one I don’t mess with it!)

IMG_3157

Now it’s time to switch gears and bust out the Christmas decorations. I love putting my tree up and I am excited to enjoy it. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

LinkWithin