Monday, September 3, 2012

Veggie Garden Progress: Early September


It’s hard to believe it’s September already! The weather is cooling off a little bit and we are finally starting to get some rain after such a dry summer. This is usually the time of year I start to get a bit burnt out on maintaining the garden. I water less frequently and start to neglect my weeding.
Since I had the day off work I thought this would be a great day to catch up on my neglected gardening tasks. I did a ton of weeding, deadheading and harvesting. I picked a huge bowl full of tomatoes. I only have two big plants and they are producing like crazy. I have tomatoes coming out my ears and I can’t keep up with them.
Look at the size of these plants. The roma is the smaller of the two and it produced at least twice as many as the better boy.
better boy tomato
.
roma tomato
I’ve made tomato sauce, salsa, tomato mozzarella basil salad, more salsa and more salsa. We put the tomatoes on pizza, added them to jarred sauce and had them with pesto. I’ve offered them up to friends and family and I still don’t know what to do with the rest of them.
My peppers are also going crazy. I have tons of jalapeno on the plant and I picked at least ten off today. My serrano is also producing a ton. The cubanelle is so heavy I had to double stake it up since it was falling over. The gyspy peppers are all turning red and delicious looking.
gypsy pepper
I am debating the best way to dehydrate the hot peppers without a dehydrator. I read a couple of different ways online. You can bake them in the oven at a really low temperature, lay them out to dry or hang them to dry. I’m not sure how any of these ways are going to turn out so I’m not sure which one to try. My other thought was to try and pickle them. I guess I haven’t decided yet.
My garlic chives are starting to bloom! I love their white pom pom flowers and so do the bees. They are all over the flowers.
garlic chives blooms
My poor pole beans didn’t make it to produce anything. They started dying around a week ago and I pretty sure my vegetable loving pup Abby was the culprit. I may need to rethink my green bean plantings for next year :)
IMG_1718
I had lofty plans to put in a fall crop of lettuce and radishes but I don’t think that’s going to happen now. The one thing I will definitely be planting is garlic. I still have to wait a little longer before I put that in. It’s one of my favorite things to plant. It’s so easy to grow and home grown garlic is amazing! Hopefully my fence will keep my vegetable/garlic loving pup out and she won’t dig any up this winter :)
Do you have an suggestions for a bumper crop of tomatoes and hot peppers? I would love some new ideas!

I may be linking up to these parties:

Tip Junkie handmade projects The Shabby Nest I Heart Nap Time Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party The Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional Blissful and Domestic UndertheTableandDreaming Keeping It Simple making monday marvelous linky party Seven AliveThe Taylor House Sweet Anne Designs - Sweet Sharing Monday

LinkWithin