Friday, September 14, 2012
I did it! I finally made my first wreath. It’s been on my to do list forever but I never got around to making one. I had high hopes to make a yarn wreath at one point but after I learned how long it took to wrap my wreath in yarn I ran out of steam to embellish it. I always admire other blogger’s awesome wreaths and right now there are tons of fall wreaths popping up. I decided to hope on the bandwagon and dig out my never used wreath form.
I routed around in my craft stash and pulled out everything that screamed fall to me. I didn’t want to spend any additional money so I figured out a design based on what I had.
I started out with a wreath form I bought at the thrift store. The leafs, flowers and pics came from various garage sales. I deconstructed the flowers and leaves from some flower arrangements a while ago to make it easier to store them. I ended up adding more flowers after the design started coming together.
I had two different sizes of leaves. I played around with the arrangement for a while before I decided to glue all the large leaves down first and then overlap with the smaller ones.
After I glued the first layer I added the second layer of smaller leaves. This project was highly glue intensive!
Next I started gluing down the flowers and pics. I cut off any extra stems from the back to help everything stick better. I enlisted Mike for his design opinion and I added a second cluster of flowers on the opposite side.
Hanging the wreath on the door was a much harder feat. I knew we had a wreath hanger in the basement with all of our Christmas stuff. In order to get to the Christmas boxes I had to do some maneuvering in our basement storage area. It wasn’t exactly an easy job but I felt pretty triumphant when I found it.
Now that I’m in the fall spirit I think we need to go buy some pumpkins to decorate the rest of the porch.
I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.