I bought this dress at the thrift store. I loved the polka dot pattern and even though it was a little bit large, it had ties that I could cinch in the back. After I got it home and tried it on again I decided I hated the weird sleeves. They weren’t defined enough plus the skirt was too full and long. I tried it on multiple times, each time thinking I could make it work but it still ended up in the refashion pile.
It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with this dress. It finally hit me one day. I have a dress that I love, it fits me really well and I always get tons of compliments when I wear it. (A secret for all my bloggy friends- I got the dress at a garage sale.) I decided to use this dress as a template for my polka dot dress. I turned the polka dot dress inside out and laid my template dress on top. Then I traced down the sides with my disappearing ink pen.
After I got my line set I turned the dress right side out and lopped off the ties. I hate those things. They get in the way when I’m wearing a cardigan and by the time I finished this dress I would have no use for them anymore.
I turned the dress inside out again and I smoothed the fabric out flat. I used a couple of pins to keep the sides together so they wouldn’t move when I started sewing.
I sewed down the line I drew on both sides. When I was done I tried the dress on to make sure it fit the way I wanted. I had to play with the sleeve seam a little to get it right.
After I had all the seams the way I wanted them I chopped off the extra fabric.
And volia! Another successful refashion! I even like the longer length now so I didn’t have to hem it.
I will probably be wearing it to work with a cardi since it’s getting cool out. I can easily add tights to stay warm in this cooler fall weather.
I may be linking up to these parties: