Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dress Refashion


dress refashion

I bought this dress at the thrift store. I loved the polka dot pattern and even though it was a little bit large, it had ties that I could cinch in the back. After I got it home and tried it on again I decided I hated the weird sleeves. They weren’t defined enough plus the skirt was too full and long. I tried it on multiple times, each time thinking I could make it work but it still ended up in the refashion pile.

IMG_1941

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with this dress. It finally hit me one day. I have a dress that I love, it fits me really well and I always get tons of compliments when I wear it. (A secret for all my bloggy friends- I got the dress at a garage sale.) I decided to use this dress as a template for my polka dot dress. I turned the polka dot dress inside out and laid my template dress on top. Then I traced down the sides with my disappearing ink pen.

IMG_2663

After I got my line set I turned the dress right side out and lopped off the ties. I hate those things. They get in the way when I’m wearing a cardigan and by the time I finished this dress I would have no use for them anymore.

IMG_2665

I turned the dress inside out again and I smoothed the fabric out flat. I used a couple of pins to keep the sides together so they wouldn’t move when I started sewing.

IMG_2667

Since I was making the dress more form fitting and it was knit I used a stretch stitch to sew my new seams. It’s #5 on my sewing machine. I recently discovered this stitch and I love it for sewing knits.

IMG_2668

I sewed down the line I drew on both sides. When I was done I tried the dress on to make sure it fit the way I wanted.  I had to play with the sleeve seam a little to get it right.

IMG_2669

After I had all the seams the way I wanted them I chopped off the extra fabric.

IMG_2670

And volia! Another successful refashion! I even like the longer length now so I didn’t have to hem it.

dress refashion

I will probably be wearing it to work with a cardi since it’s getting cool out. I can easily add tights to stay warm in this cooler fall weather.

dress refashion

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

18 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love how far just a little resizing can take a piece. It went from being cute to va-va-voom! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like this makeover. Changing the style of the skirt part of this dress really changes up the whole feel. I love the sleek look of your makeover project. You are definitely on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! It looks great on you. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! what a great way to make a dress more fitting! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great makeover you gave that dress. I'm sure that you're going to get lots of compliments when you wear it. It looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how simple that was! I am incredibly afraid of trying to alter clothes. I have no idea how to do it, but this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! Very cute dress (after!) and the sweater looks cute with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Great work! Such a simple solution, and it's a whole new dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I love the fitted look, it looks great on you! Thanks for sharing this at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! And it looks so cute on you. I will be looking at the dresses in my closet with a new eye. Thanks for sharing! I'm pinning this!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a huge fan of anything that involves recycling, thanks!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make it look so easy! Love the finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness..i love it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice makeover! And I absolutely love the print as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks great!! I love it with the cardi and belt

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I might have to try this with a few dresses. I have a knit dress that I love the shape of but sometimes wish I had it in different colors or prints. Thanks for sharing this refashion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...