Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Raw Tomato Sauce Recipe


raw tomato sauce recipe

My favorite thing to grow in my veggie garden is tomatoes hands down. I rarely eat the ones from the grocery store. They are hard and don’t taste like anything. The thing about growing tomatoes is they seem to all ripen at once and I am scrambling to figure out how to eat them.

Remember this picture? (I have to keep sharing it because I am so proud :P)

IMG_2384

See those tomatoes? That’s what I had sitting in my fruit basket on the verge of over ripening. I didn’t want to take the time to make real tomato sauce and I needed an easy way to use them all up at once.

I did some Googleing and found this recipe from Elana’s Pantry. It looked really quick and easy plus I had all the ingredients.

Here’s the slightly adapted recipe:
Approx 18 tomatoes (see pic above for what I used)
1 cup fresh basil
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon salt

1. Whirl garlic and salt in food processor.
2. Add the basil and pulse until well chopped.
3. Save two tomatoes and add in the rest. Pulse until smooth or slightly chunky.
4. Roughly chop the remaining two tomatoes and add to sauce.

Wasn’t that easy? The chopped tomatoes really add to it so don’t leave that part out. This made about 8 servings of sauce for us so it can easily be made with less tomatoes.
It tasted like yummy fresh tomatoes. We served it over pasta. We refrigerated the leftovers and heated them up with the pasta and it retained the fresh flavor. This is definitely a keeper for quick way to eat up a bunch of ripe tomatoes.

raw tomato sauce recipe

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

LinkWithin