Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies {Pinspired}

 

 

peanut butter oatmeal cookie

Mike was craving cookies and asked me to make him some the other day. We had a jar of Smucker’s natural peanut butter that was begging to be turned into peanut butter oatmeal cookies. I don’t know if you have ever tried it but it’s fabulous peanut butter. The only downside is that it’s required to be refrigerated after you open it and it makes it difficult to eat once it gets cold. I figured I would try and use it up by making a yummy treat.

I turned to Pinterest to find a recipe. There were a zillion pins for Dr Oz’s PB oatmeal cookies but he made them with banana and agave syrup. Having neither of those things on hand I settled on this recipe from Baking Bites. It didn’t use any ingredients I don’t have and I liked the glaze on top.

I doubled the recipe to make a double batch so I could freeze some and try to use up all the peanut butter (I almost did it.) My favorite way to freeze cookies is by using Press n Seal. Lay a sheet down on the counter and fill it with cookies, like you were getting ready to bake them.

IMG_2088

Lay another sheet on top and press together in between the cookies to seal them in.

IMG_2089

Once everything is sealed you can fold the pack in half for easier storage in the freezer. I actually folded it one more time since there wasn’t a lot of space in my freezer. When you are ready to eat you just pull off the press n seal and drop the cookies onto a baking sheet. I usually cook them for an extra minute or two since they are frozen. It’s so easy when you want something homemade but don’t want all the work and clean up.

IMG_2091 

I ended up baking three batches and freezing two more. The hardest part was the peanut butter glaze. I had to use more milk than the recipe called for. One tablespoon wasn’t enough so I just added a little at a time until I got a good consistency. I also added one tablespoon of honey since the peanut butter I used wasn’t very sweet.

It was my first time piping anything before. I put the pb glaze in a plastic bag and cut an enormous hole that made for some ugly piping. I tried again with a teeny tiny cut on the other end of the bag and that worked perfectly. It may not be the prettiest glaze job ever so I put the better ones forward in my pics :)

peanut butter oatmeal cookie 2 

peanut butter oatemal cookie 1

I am linking this post up over at Living, Loving, Crafting. Jeannie is doing a Pinterest challenge where you can link up your Pinterest inspired posts starting August 1st. I am a constant pinner with more pins than I could probably make in a life time so this is a great challenge for me. I am going to attempt one Pinterest inspired post a week but we’ll see if I can do it :) Come join in the fun!

LinkWithin