Friday, August 31, 2012

Blue and Green Drop Necklace

DIY drop necklace

The other day I was browsing Etsy wistfully looking at all the pretty drop necklaces I wanted to buy. I didn’t need a new necklace but I really wanted one. I forced myself to close my laptop and I decided to go make myself a necklace instead.

Let me just say I am no jewelry making expert. I have made a few necklaces but I still consider myself a beginner. Really basic jewelry making is easy to me but once it gets into bending head pins, I struggle to make it look professional. I think I am probably my biggest critic because I notice all the imperfections more than anyone else would.

Despite all it’s challenges, I love making myself a new necklace or pair of earrings. I get really excited when I get a compliment on a necklace I made. The more I make, the easier it gets. I’ve learned so much but there is so much still to learn!

Most of the time when I make a necklace the design evolves as I go. I usually start out with one plan and then it changes as I’m making the piece. For this necklace I based everything on these beads I got at Michaels.

green and blue beads for diy necklace

Other supplies I used were three kinds of chain, head pins, jump rings, a clasp and seed beads.
I started out by adding a head pin to all of the beads. I don’t think I’m showing in this pic but some of the holes in the beads were a little too big and the head pin was slipping through. I added a matching seed bead in between the head pin and the large bead to prevent the head pin from slipping.

IMG_2571

Next I bent the ends of the head pin into a loop. I am still not very good at this but you can find a good tutorial for this at Miss Lovie or Flamingo Toes.

IMG_2572

The next part was really tough for me. It took me a couple of sessions to figure this out. I added all of the beads to the long piece of chain. I had trouble keeping the chain straight so I wrapped the chain around one of my craft storage containers and used a safety pin to hold it up. This helped to prevent the chain from moving around when I was adding the beads.

IMG_2573

I felt like the necklace needed a little more weight so I cut two smaller lengths of different chains and added them above the beads with a jump ring.

IMG_2576

I finished the necklace off with a clasp attached to a jump ring.

IMG_2577

And my necklace was complete! I’m excited I finally found a use for these beads. I proudly wore my new necklace to work the other day :)

DIY drop necklace

DIY drop necklace

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

7 comments:

  1. Those beads are so pretty! I love how you made the necklace...great statement piece! :) Would you consider sharing it here?
    http://www.oneartsymama.com/2012/09/shine-on-fridays-45-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that necklace is fabulous! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this necklace. And the color is gorgeous! I'm so glad you shared this on Sundae Scoop, have a great week:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this! It's beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful necklace! Love the way you used multiple chains to offset the heavy beads. It is a classic piece to update any wardrobe! I found your link on Sew Many Ways and I would love for you to stop by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog today! Come stop by and grab a featured button: http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/09/your-whims-wednesday-78-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin