Monday, July 16, 2012

Veggie Garden Progress: Mid July


This year has been a tough one for gardening. It’s been really dry so I have been watering the garden more frequently than in the past. I haven’t been very diligent about watering though and have had the worst time trying to direct seed into the garden. Despite this year’s challenges I think my veggie garden is still doing really well.

I’ll start off with an update on my topsy turvey tomato. First I was super excited to discover that my volunteer tomato I planted in the topsy turvey was the variety I wanted it to be. I had a 50/50 chance that it would be a delicious sungold tomato vs the less flavorful grape tomato. Sungold is probably the best tomato I have ever had. It’s an orange cherry tomato and it’s really sweet. I am a really picky tomato eater and this one is amazing. I grew it from seed last year and this year it popped up in the garden bed.

What I am noticing with the topsy turvey is that it dries out very quickly. I neglected it a couple of times so I’m keeping a closer eye on it now to make sure I don’t underwater it. I think the plant seems smaller but it wasn’t as far along as my other two tomatoes when I first planted it. It is producing tomatoes so I am pleased with the progress so far. I will give you more updates as the summer goes on and it starts to get hotter and drier in August.

topsy turvey sungold tomato

sungold tomato

This is my fullest bed right now. In the bottom left corner are onions. The tops fell over so I waiting for them to turn brown before I pull them out to dry. In the bottom right corner are bush beans. They are just starting to produce and I picked my first crop the other day. To the left of the beans is a sweet basil plant. I cut it back pretty hard the other day to make pesto.

In the top left are two dill plants. To the left of the dill are my four peppers. Growing up the trellis on the left are my pole beans. I had a terrible germination rate with these seeds. I tried to plant them all along the trellis and I only got two plants to come up. They are doing really well though and one of them has already outgrown the trellis.

onions, pepper, beans

Here is the serrano pepper. I should be able to pick these soon and there are a ton of them!

serrano pepper

This is the gypsy pepper. I’ve never grown them before (or even heard of them.) I’m not that pleased with them so far. These peppers have a tendency to rot. I cut one off and there is another one that is rotting already.

gypsy pepper

This is my cubanelle pepper. There is only one but it is enormous! I am debating whether or not I should pick it or see it it gets any bigger. I only noticed it the other day since it’s in the middle of the bed and kind of gets hidden.

cubanelle pepper

My pole beans are looking good and I’m anxious for them to start producing!

pole bean

This bed has my roma tomato. It’s doing awesome and there is a tomato that is almost ready to pick! The peas on the trellis are limping along. They are still producing but the peas are smaller than they were in the spring. I can’t bring myself to rip it out when I can still enjoy munching on a few peas while I am inspecting the garden. I tried to plant more seeds in the empty space but nothing is coming up. There is a basil plant, some tiny lettuce plants, radishes, kale, bok choy and an arugula plant in here. None of them are doing that well but I’ll let them stay. I might try and plant another crop of bush beans in the empty space.

roma tomato


My last bed has my better boy tomato. It is getting huge. I pulled my garlic up a few days ago out of this bed and I have that drying out in the garage. Down in the bottom center are a couple of cilantro plants that seem to be doing well. On the left hand side is my second crop of bush beans. Hopefully they will start producing after the first crop is done. There is also a random onion down in the bottom right corner.

IMG_1838
Lastly I’ll show you my window box tomato. This guy is completely neglected. I still haven’t got around to staking it up. This is the third year it’s showed up here. Despite the total neglect it’s going to be the first tomato to produce a ripe fruit.

IMG_1840


LinkWithin