Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dress to Skirt Refashion


dress to skirt

I got this dress from Target online. It was one of their daily deals and it was super cheap.  I actually bought two. When I got them in the mail this one was a different style than I thought it would. I tried to wear it a couple of times but I felt like the fit more like a baby doll dress which I think is unflattering on me. It sat in my closet for a long time before it made it’s way to the refashion pile.

IMG_1688

I actually thought I wanted to lengthen the dress in the torso but I couldn’t figure out what color to use. I had an Aha! moment the other day when I saw this post from Merrick’s Art where she styled a jersey knit blue pencil skirt. It was a really similar color to my blue dress. I knew I had plenty of fabric to turn it onto a skirt. Merrick also has a post on making an easy pencil skirt that I semi-followed.

I started out by unpicking the seam that held the top and bottom pieces together. The bottom piece was kind of strange since it had three seams. I ended up positioning one of the seams in the center of the back. Then I laid a pencil skirt I already had over top and drew a line down each sides with tailor’s chalk. The pencil skirt was a little but longer than my fabric but I actually wanted a slightly shorter skirt.

IMG_1850

I sewed up the sides on the line I drew and cut off the excess. I finished it off with a little hem at the top.
Now I have a skirt I actually want to wear! It’s super comfy and I love this color paired with a mustard top.

IMG_1944

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

LinkWithin