Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What’s Blooming in My Garden: Mid June


June has been a pretty spectacular month for the garden. It has been really hot this year so we have been watering a lot. My front bed is really taking off despite all the heat. I am amazed how how many flowers have been blooming this month. Some of them were short lived but others will be blooming for months.
I’m actually wondering what will happen in July since I feel like so many of my flowers are blooming this month. You can be sure I will be out documenting it all :)
I love these lilies. They bloom profusely but it’s usually short lived. They were a transplant from my mom’s garden and are really happy where I have them planted. They have tripled in size from when I first put them in.

lily

The white feathery plumes in the back are astilibe and purple ones in the front are royal candles or veronica. The astilbe does great in this part of the bed where it is shady. The royal candles bloom for a long time and nice and compact for the front of the bed.

astilibe veronica royal candles

Here is my stella d’oro daylily. I love this one. It blooms forever and the flowers are so pretty. Last year I had this guy overcrowded in a different part of the bed. I moved it this spring and now it’s doing really well. I am excited because it starts blooming at the perfect time to give the garden some cheery color.

stello d'oro day lily

I am crazy excited my hydrangea is blooming! It warmed up early this spring and then frosted so many of my hydrangea blooms got killed off. I was worried it wasn’t going to bloom but it’s proved me wrong. This bush has the longest blooms of anything in my garden. It has an amazing color show too. It starts off with yellow buds that turn blue or blue/purple. Then as the fall comes on the blooms change to a pinkish red and over the winter they are dried puff balls.

hydrangea

You can expect to see lots more shots of this beauty :)

hydrangea blue purple

I’m surprised to see my purple coneflower blooming this early. I thought it didn’t start until July but it has one beautiful bud that opened up with a few more to come. There was a cool looking bee searching for nectar when I got this shot.

purple coneflower

I may be linking up to these parties:
Tip Junkie handmade projects The Shabby Nest I Heart Nap Time Making Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party I'm topsy turvy tuesdays The Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional Blissful and Domestic A Marvelous Mess UndertheTableandDreaming Keeping It Simple making monday marvelous linky party These Peas Taste FunnyThe Taylor House

LinkWithin