Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Crisp Recipe


Pineapple Coconut Crisp-001

The other night Mike asked me to make cookies. There was just a slight snag in that request since we were out of eggs. I immediately knew what I could make that was egg free. I saw a recipe for pineapple coconut crisp the other day and had thought it would be perfect to use up some of the pineapple that was in our cabinet. I went to look at my Pinterest food board but I couldn’t find the recipe. After scrolling through all my pins three times, I finally did a search and it popped right up. Then I realized I had read the recipe originally in my All You magazine. I guess not all of my good ideas come from Pinterest :)

I ended up pinning the recipe to my Pinterest board. You can find the original recipe here. I made a slightly adapted version since I didn’t think the original had enough crumb topping and I didn’t add any extra sugar to the pineapple. It is already sweet enough.

Ingredients:
  • 2 20-oz. cans pineapple chunks packed in juice, well-drained
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Put pineapple in a 9-inch pie plate.
  2. Combine oats, coconut, brown sugar, flour and ginger in a bowl. Add butter and pinch with your fingers until well combined and mixture is crumbly. (I found that pinching softened the butter more quickly but your could probably do this step with a spoon.)
  3. Scatter topping over pineapple. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
  4. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.
  5. Enjoy!

This was really easy to make. It took me no time to whip it up and it was very tasty. It was a different take on one of my favorite desserts and I will definitely be making it again. We served it the second night with a scoop of ice cream and that made it even better :)

Pineapple Coconut Crisp (2)

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

LinkWithin