Friday, May 11, 2012

DIY Pearly Shell Necklace


DIY necklace jewelry

I bought these pearly shell beads at Joann’s a while ago. I loved the way the looked but had no idea what I was going to do with them. They sat in my jewelry stash until I was feeling inspired the other day to make a necklace with them.

I wanted to make something simple and shorter. I had another necklace that is the perfect short length so I used it as a guide for the length. I wanted to use two different types of beads so I started rooting around in my bead stash. The pearl beads caught my eye since the shell beads look very pearly. I played around with a couple of different sizes before settling on the tiny pearls. I also pulled out my beading thread, a tiny needle and a closure finding.

IMG_1119

I started stringing the beads onto my thread.  I alternated between the pearl and shell. I ended up stringing some extra pearls on the beginning and end so I would get the length of my inspiration necklace. I knotted the ends and used fittings that clamp on the ends of string and give a place to attach a closure (I have no idea what they are called.) Then I attached my closure.

IMG_1120

This was so quick and easy and I love the way it came out. It has the elegance of pearls but with a different twist. Plus I get a real sense of accomplishment when I wear it. I love wearing something I made and paid a fraction of the cost then if I had bought it in the store. I actually found a pair of earrings at the garage sale I went to two weekends ago that are a perfect match for this necklace. I only paid 50 cents to make this a set :)

I took this pic my my remote firing control for my camera. I finally figured out how to use it and it was super easy. Can’t wait to use it more often. If you are interested in the flower the tutorial is here.

diy necklace jewelry

I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

LinkWithin