Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April Blooms in the Garden

 

I love my perennial garden bed in the front of our house. It has come a long way since we first moved in.  I don’t even know how many hours I have spent digging to add, move and remove plants. As soon as the weather warms up I am in my garden digging away happily. We had a beautiful day on Sunday and I was excited to get some digging in. I love the feel of the first in my fingers and I am amazed at how a tiny seed can develop into an enormous plant.

My goal for the garden is to have something blooming all season long. I think this is the year that this finally happens. I was pretty close last year but I made a few tweaks last fall that I think will work really well. I still have a little work to do because I am moving my herbs that were on the side of the front bed to the backyard. I am creating a centralized location for all my herbs so they will be easier to use throughout the summer.  Once I get my new herb garden all it set up I will post pics.

By moving my herbs to the back I opened up some prime real estate. The front of the house is in partial shade and the soil doesn’t drain well. I have been trying to make some plants work in that area that are starting to struggle. I’m planning on moving them to my newly empty space. I think they will be much happier in full sun with well draining soil. Some of my plants in the front bed are getting a little crowded so they will get some more space to stretch out.

Blooming in the garden for April is tulips, bleeding heart, primrose and azalea. My pansies I planted in March are really taking off. On deck for May are astilibe, rose, lilac, and iris.

 

tulip

Tulip

 

bleeding heart

Bleeding Heart

 

primrose

Primrose

azalea

Azalea

pansy viola

Pansy/Viola

LinkWithin