Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring Blooms in the Garden


I live in Northeast Ohio and the month of March is usually cold and snowy with a few 50 degree days. The snow doesn’t last as long and the crocus and daffodils start popping up. This March has brought record breaking temperatures. We have had multiple 80 degree days and it feels like it’s really late May. I am not complaining one bit! It feels like actual spring instead of our typically spring, which is mostly non existent. We have a saying here: “We have four seasons, winter, still winter, almost winter and construction.” :)
All this warm weather is making Mother Nature think it’s May too. Flowers and trees are blooming like crazy. There are lots of combinations of blooms that wouldn’t typically be happening. The tulips and magnolias are starting to bloom while the daffodils are still up.
This is my favorite time of the year and I love watching all the spring bulbs bloom. Every time I go outside something new is blooming in my garden or one of my neighbors gardens.
I’ve been out taking some shots with my DSLR to try and capture the spring beauty. The crocus are long done blooming but everything else is going strong right now. I couldn’t resist planting some pansies and violas already. They are my favorite annuals. I normally like planting them in the ground in the fall. They live through the winter and bloom in early spring. I never got around to planting them last fall but the garden center was stocked with all the pretty blooms nice and early this year.


IMG_1008Daffodil
IMG_1009Daffodil
IMG_1012Hyacinth
IMG_1018Magnolia
IMG_1019Magnolia
IMG_0975Pansy and Violas
IMG_0896Crocus
IMG_1025Not a flower but still adorable :)
IMG_1021The best shot I could get of her. She wouldn’t stay still!


After I took these pictures we had a frost and all my magnolia blooms died :( I was so sad. I made sure to cover up my hydrangea and a couple of plants but I took the cover off too soon so I am nervous it won't bloom this year. I guess that's what happens when you get warm weather before it's time.

LinkWithin