Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pesto and Summer Squash Pasta

In my quest for recipes to use up summer veggies I found a recipe for a pesto and summer squash pasta. I have been making this recipe for a few years so I have made it my own. It is great served warm or cold. I made this batch to bring to a party so I kept it cold so I wouldn't have to worry about heating it up.


Ingredients:

2 summer squash ( I used patty pan but zucchini and yellow squash also work)
1 box of pasta (I only used about 3/4 of the cooked pasta)
1 large onion
1/3 cup pesto
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt

Cook pasta as directed on package. While pasta is cooking put olive oil and pressed garlic and salt in a pan and heat on medium heat until garlic starts to sizzle.

Roughly chop onions and squash. Add onions to hot pan and cook until slightly translucent about 3-4 minuts. Add squash and cook until you can pierce the squash easily with a knife. The flesh also starts to look more translucent.

Add squash and pasta into a large dish. Stir in pesto until well covered. Stir in parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

We made the pesto from a huge batch of basil fromt the garden. It is super easy, tastes great and it easy to freeze. I will post about the next batch we make.


Linking up

LinkWithin