Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

What do you do when you forget to pick a zucchini from the garden and it looks like this?



Make zucchini bread!

I have the best recipe for zucchini bread ever. It come from The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book. Every time I make it I get a ton of compliments. I will share this awesome recipe with you and my take on it is to add chocolate chips because they make everything more delicious.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup flour (I like to use half white and half whole wheat for a heartier bread)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (1 medium)
1/2 bag chocolate chips ( I think this is a cup)
You can also try it with a 1/2 cup walnuts instead or in addition to the chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 metal loaf pan.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl with fork mix oil, eggs and zucchini.

Stir zucchini mixture into flour mixture until just moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.


I made a quadruple batch (this was a big undertaking for me!) since I had some other smaller zucchinis I wanted to use up. I ended up baking two batches in a larger 9 1/2 x 13 pans. I kept them bread in the pan and served it more like a cake. I brought a batch into work and received rave reviews :)

LinkWithin