Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Flower pin

I saw this really cute shirt at Made by Lex. I love the flower on it so I used her tutorial as a basis for making a flower pin.

Here is what I came up with

I had some white flowy material. No idea what it is but I've had it forever and it was a poor attempt at curtains at one point.

I cut 3 imperfect circles out of my white material and two slightly smaller ones out of tulle. I took about a 6 inch by 1 inch strip of the white material and ran a basting strip through to turn it into a ruffle







I stacked the circles with the tulle ones on top




I pinched the back of the layers and sewed through to try and keep the shape.

Then I took my ruffle and would it into a flower shape. When I had it the way I wanted it I sewed the back to keep the shape.



Next I sewed the ruffle flower to the layers. I sewed a pearl bead in the center. To turn it into a pin I cut a round piece of felt, and a tiny piece to fit in the in pin backing. I glued the flower to the felt and the pin to the back of the felt. I put the tiny piece where the glue comes through the holes in the pin back to make it look more finished.



Here is the finished product. (Working on my self portrait :P)




And a closer shot













3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. If you get a chance I would love you to link your flower pin up to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to stop by. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie! I linked up this post and the kitchen redo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin